Sunday, November 13, 2011

writers block

Life moves on….

Suddenly I realized that I have nothing better to do after one of the more boring weekends that I have had in recent times.

There is an office report that I need to prepare for tomorrow, like every day but let it be made tomorrow morning itself. So I am prepared to write and clear the writer’s block!!!

The next question to is to write about what?

Business gyaan, eCommerce, Life, people, friends…naaah…all too boring.

These days courtesy to the rising eCommerce in the country I have been able to revive my hobby of reading. Every alternate week I order two books after checking prices on websites like flipkart, infibeam, indiaplaza, indiatimes shopping. I was reading a lot about the way choices are made by people and some of the better books that I read included

1. Art of choosing by sheena Iyengar

2. Dan Ariley’s predictably irrational & upside of irrationality

3. Number of books by Malcolm Gladwell

After getting bored from this subject about the so called, “behavioral economics”, I moved to diversifying my reading interests. My last fortnight was spent on something that stumbled upon by chance, history of world and I found two innovative books on this area:

1. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky: This book uses salt as its hero and talks about how the history moved and salt acted as wheels to this movement. I found this perspective very western in nature. The writer ignored most of the perspective from Indian & Chinese civilization and I found it unacceptable that these two civilizations wouldn’t have used SALT.

2. A history of world in 6 glasses by Tom Standage: Another interesting take on the history, this time through beverages that have dominated different phases of development of civilization from beer to coke. This is a well written book which gives a well-rounded perspective & ensures that readers don’t get bored in the historical nuances only.

Another challenge that I now have is to identify the books that I would be reading in the next fortnight. I was thinking about Elizabeth kubler ross but found the books to be very expensive (1k+ range). So now I have settled The tell tale brain by V. S. Ramachandran, clearly my obsession with things which are driven by mind continues, that is why my diversification from behavioral economics is coming back full circle, but I am happy that I have moved one step behind behviour to the reason of behavior…our Dear Brain!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home