Saturday, October 14, 2006

Power

The earliest and most relevant mention of the word power, in my case was probably in 6th class.

A didi of mine who had read some book on hand writing was trying to predict future using the same. I became an obvious and obvious and willing ‘Ginny pig’. She said, “You will have great power in your hands when you grow up”.

I was really thin and week at that time so I asked the obvious question, “But I don’t have muscles didi”. At that time she tried to explain me that, its not the muscle power that always counts, although that also does some times.

Everyone is so hungry for power all around. I realize this for the first time when I come to this corporate world. Even I am hungry for power. IIT mein the tab tak sab chalta tha yaar.
But now you expect
• Your subordinate to call you boss
• You expect him to give you respect and not give you fundaes
• You want to give your boss fundaes.
• You want to be in lime light and be seen every place where powerful people prowl, so that at least they know your name.

And if someone senior says something, it directly hurts.
“Saale kee aukat kaise hui, doesn’t he know that I am an IITian”

So power and ego go hand in hand.

But how to remain the same iitian without any ego and expectations for power is a puzzle that I am trying to solve. It feels like Amitabh in lawaris. He kept his old clothes for the last fighting scene of the movie.

I also want to preserve this identity of mine, that doesn’t mean that I want the climax in lawaris style but there is a fear that this hollow corporate life is not something that will remain always with me.

I don’t think i can explain all the complex thoughts of my mind well enough in the blog, since I am the inspired writer, not the expert writer.

But to be a part of this life style and still remain egoless is a big challenge and hopefully I can survive and come out a better person.

Tests are a part of life and we don’t have options other than taking them.
Those who pass are the winners

9 Comments:

Blogger curryandspice said...

Well i dont quite agree with you ... I very well understand what you come to expect at the workplace after graduating from an iit .. BUT .. my personal opinion is that great milestones can only be achieved through teamwork,where everyone has a say... coz great ideas dont always come from iitians. At the end of the day you shall not be remembered as an iitian in the organisation..but a hugely popular leader who led the team to success.

Sir bolne se koi chota ya bada nahi hota ... fundae nahi de raha hoon par fir bhi ... the most important thing early in your career is to learn ... and learn from EVERYONE .. and you cant do that until u banish ur ego.. the guy on the shopfloor might not be an iitian but he has been wrking there for the past decade and knows the tricks much more intricately .. so u should be humble enuff to learn from him ..

10/14/2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

I was thinking about a similar thing a couple of days back...I do believe that the higher a person goes, the easier it is for him to cooly shrug it off with humility.

10/14/2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger Life said...

i agree to both of you!!!
@ sunmay
Well whatever you say is right.
Probably i havent been able to express myself well enough
The jist of the post was,
"There are a few tendencies that develop as you go out in the world.
I wish that my mindset is a part of the same iitian mindset where we dont mind learning from a person who is a six pointer or any pointer for that matter of fact.
This is a really difficult thing to put to practice. I hope to do so

@ life lover
You are absolutely right

ak

10/15/2006 4:31 AM  
Blogger Banvri said...

I am partialy agree with u ..but power is much more than ..ego and boss around ...:)

10/15/2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Power brings with it a heady feeling...
It is upto us whether we misuse it and start expecting other people to be subservient or remain modest and make people admire us for what we truly are rather than the position that we hold ...

10/17/2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger ketki said...

i think i agree withu to much an extent.........

10/19/2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Rai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/23/2006 12:11 AM  
Blogger Rai said...

"remain egoless is a big challenge" ... completely agree with you, perhaps remembering ones own failures sometimes help in becoming more humble

10/23/2006 2:18 AM  
Blogger Hrisheekesh Sabnis said...

Just to add a quote from Spiderman...
"With great power comes great responsibility".

and another one from the father of our nation..

"Live as if you will die tomorrow.. Learn as if you will live forever!"

I think we can have a discussion on this at some convenient time because right now, i got some work to do and so i need to wind up!

Good going though... it takes courage to express your emotions (especially negative ones) in public and u are on the right track!

10/25/2006 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home