Monday, April 17, 2006

A story supposed to inspire the others!!!

Tomorrow I have an end semester exam of a course called Philosophy of religion. I took this course because I didn’t want to go to classes. But as the course unfolded I had to attend classes
Because of a strict instructor and my own fear of not wanting to take risk in the last semester of my B.Tech degree, sadly I went to almost 90% of the classes. Which made me think, if I should have taken a course in marketing and added some value to myself?

After all how does it matter to Britannia if I have done a course on philosophy of religion or intellectual property rights? But I would have been good had I known something about how to sell biscuits in at bottom of pyramid.

Everything that you do, if seen in right perspective adds value, to sensible human beings. I am someone who can criticize, tell others what to do but when it comes to me, I normally take paths which are not for greater good but for my own good. I will continue to do the same, because I AM BAD. But people who work for greater good need dosage of inspiration when they feel living like me.

So here is my bit for greater good of others, obviously it doesn’t apply to me!!!

From the Writings of Loren Eisele (Loren Eiseley (1907 – 1977) was a philosopher; scientist and humanist greatly alarmed at the accelerating destruction of our planet in the last century, and would, I am sure, have been horrified at the setbacks at the start of the 21st century. Eiseley wrote several books on natural philosophy and anthropology. He taught at the University of Kansas and at Oberlin College, then returned in 1949 to the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania where he worked until his death.)

The Star Thrower

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean. He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

Moral of the story is “Do what you think is correct, and do it with all your heart and soul. Don’t worry about the world.

As GEETA says,

“Karmanye Wadhikaraste, maafaleshu kadachinum”

Which in essence means, “Karma karte jaao aur phal kee chinta maat karo”.
ak

3 Comments:

Blogger Dew Drops said...

Real good post, dear. Btw, good and bad is relative :-)

4/18/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger Ankit said...

U lost me in the geeta part.
but when it comes to grades as they say

"Its all about chosing your electives :P"

i still say u made the right choice by taking philosphy of religion

4/18/2006 2:42 AM  
Blogger rachana said...

Hi anon..Britannia me job ke liye badhai(bat ab purani hogi,lekin fir bhi!)
"I am someone who can criticize"..i am completely agree with that!
best luck for ur end semister!!

4/18/2006 3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home