Sunday, February 26, 2006

liberal vs conservative

This debate can go far as long as there are elections for presidency in america. But how do i reach to a conclusion. Well i cant do what president bush did with the help of his brother jeb. I have to find other ways to settle the arguments.

But first of all why this debate??

Actually with nothing productive left in life to do, I waste time reading blogs of other people. And i find a group from IIM cal writing really great stuff. From that blog i reached a blog written by a female called sunshine. She wrote about the stuffed environment that we have in our marriages and her mother making all efforts she could to get her to marry, although the feel i get from her blog is that she is already commited and her mother doesnt read blogs.

So how does her blog bring in the topic of this posting!!!
I noticed a few things in her blog which reflect the changing mindset of indian women to me.

  • "If you know that you are gonna be raped anywayz and you can’t help it, you might as well start enjoying it." that is said by her fav. student!!!

  • "My nani would have had a shock had she seen a 50-plus lady giving me such. boob-kissing hugs."
I may be accused of 'baal kee khal nikalna' here, but 'khali dimag shaitan kaa ghar hota hai'.

I dont know how many girls or for that matter boys would be comfortable typing these lines on a public forum like this. To bring in perspective, I pride my self being the most liberal of all my friends as yet. I havent had to face problems where my openness would be tested, but my friends do feel and say that "teri life ke fundae alag hain bilkul".

And i dont mind such comments. I believe in freedom and believe that i should share the same with whosoever i am with equally. Not many would agree, but it cant be helped.

But what do these changes mean to us indians!!!

Well they do mean a lot. They tell us that there are people who arent frightened to express what they think. I think i need to make a distinction between, liberal and vociferous(i hope that this word means, not being frightened to express your thoughts).

I strongly believe that these changes which have happened over past 10-15 years will go a long way in making india a better country in terms of freedom for women. Its highly frustrating to see that even education at iit cant make people understand the value that women have and the quantum in which they can contribute to the building of indian nation. After all they are aprroximately 50% of our workforce.

When i find my friends in IIT saying that women belong in houses, girls coming to iit is an opportunity denied to a better candidated and so much more crap ...i cant help but 'Sir pakad ke baith jaane ke alawa kuch nahin kar sakta'.

Do i sound feminist. Probably!! but its not that...i mean business. Its all economics.
And one great thought that i always remeber, strue in context of rural india.
"If you educate a man, you educate an individual
But if you educate a woman, you educate a family"


ak

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home